Friday, August 12, 2011

I am NOT a creepy old lady!

This lady is overseeing my blog today.


Guess I still get a bit rattled when the "trolls" or "haters" or people with nasty comments, comment.  Maybe that makes me old-fashioned but I prefer mature or wise.  I used to get slapped for rude comments.  But in those days people communicated in person and so a slap was usually earned and lesson learned for disrespectful or uncivilized behavior.

The Internet has opened up a world of manner-less maniacs.  I don't think I'm THAT old, but I am a mother, a businesswoman and I have plenty of experience under my belt within many genre's.  The young person that called me a creepy old lady has probably never had to clean up a house where a good friend's brother has just committed suicide.  That kid has likely never had a child let alone nearly lost a child in childbirth.  The boy doesn't know a thing about me yet chooses to label me, put me in a box with a cruel name, shaping and designing how he wanted to perceive and preserve the moment he knew of me.

I know nothing of this boy except that I mistakenly touched on his world in some way without realizing and he lashed out.  What in his world has made him so angry and in need of controlling what he can?  It could be that his world has taught him these actions are acceptable and without repercussion.  It could be the Internet and social networking are his keepers and his teachers and his parents.  Perhaps the real world for this person is so out of control that he lives in a cyber world where he can be safe and unknown and learn no lessons about real social interaction and social growth.  I might guess he's had too much pain for his years or, not enough pain.

Will this person learn and grow in real time?  Will this person never feel the sting of a real-world slap and learn the lessons of civilization?  If he is lucky, he will sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting for this creepy old lady to watch the real world and this generation of people with no life experience be forced to eventually go out into the world and survive.  Chaotic transition I suspect.  Sadly, don't think it will go well.

So, I unplug my children and myself regularly.  I force our world to be more real than not.  The real world is often sad and painful and hard which are the necessary lessons we need to experience to grow into empathetic, mature humans.  I hope this boy who needed to put me in a box decides to take a walk outside one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment